Wednesday, June 29, 2011

So... it's been awhile...

As you may have guessed I am not KU. This negative was harder than the first 2, there were some tears and a pity party. But we recovered and moved onto the next cycle, we went to our new fertility clinic, Northern California Fertility Medical Center ("the clinic" from here on out) and just LOVED them. We still do, even more now as they picked up our pieces and put them back together.

First up was their informational seminar. Our appointment wasn't until the end of July which meant that we would have to do another cycle with stupid PRS and their stupid cut off times. But it turns out that a few couples decided not to attend the seminar and we got some 1:1 time with Dr. M, who is now my hero. We discussed our situation and he immediately started taking notes, we told him of our appointment and he said he could get it moved up...see H-E-R-O! We left there so excited, I literally did a little jumping up and down thing in the parking lot!!

Then came our appointment, 2 days later, Woo Hoo!! We discussed all of our options and did a vaginal ultrasound, there were no fibroids (they run in my family) to be seen and we got to see all my little follicles in my ovaries. We discussed the tests that they wanted done, lots of blood-work and an HSG. The nurse said that it might be too much to try and get this all done before I ovulate next, we assured her it was no problem. LOL She didn't know who she was talking to!!!

Then came the blood work, I had to fast for it and I am HORRIBLE with needles and tend to pass out and/or vomit. SO I was nervous but had given myself a pep talk and thought I would be fine...then she pulled out the SEVEN large tubes that she would be filling with my blood. In my head I said "Oh no....I am so going down" and I did. 5 vials in I knew it was coming but I kept it together so she wouldn't have to start over, she finished and I said, I'm not good and my head went down, then I puked. It took me a little while to recover and after a few minutes I just wanted the hell outta there, how embarrassing!!

Next up, the HSG (hysterosalpingogram), I had read that  it could be a little painful, some cramping and just uncomfortable. But I can handle uncomfortable so I wasn't too worried. We actually thought that we were wasting the money for this test, as the ultrasound looked good. Thank god we went with it and got the test, here is where things fell apart. The test was WAY more painful than I expected, plus I basically had 2 done, back to back and here is why.

I have been diagnosed with a Unicornuate Uterus. Basically I have half a uterus and 1 open fallopian tube. I do have a left ovary and possibly a tube but they do not connect to my uterus.

Here is a picture to help explain this. A) a normal uterus and B) a Unicornuate Uterus




As you can image this was a devastating blow, something that not only we had never heard of but we didn't know how this would effect our chances of conceiving and carrying a child. I felt deformed and like I was 1/2 a woman. J was absolutely incredible, she literally and figuratively held me up. She was so strong and so comforting, I can't even tell her how much she helped me. My family was also incredible and were so supportive, as much as this was a blow to us it was to them as well as they are excited about adding to the family too. We have great friends who also were right there to comfort us. Thank you all!

We spent about 24 hours in tears, but the amazing clinic was able to get us an appointment the next day, they called the Radiology center that did the scan and expedited the sending of the records.

Dr. M, sat us down, explained everything to us and said that while this is a concern and something that we now need to watch it should not prevent us from conceiving and carrying a baby! We were more than relieved and we could not be more grateful to the clinic and Dr.M.

There are still some concerns, mostly once I AM pregnant, but as far as conceiving goes here is the plan: No crazy meds as we DO NOT want me carrying multiples, this next cycle will be non-medicated but if I am not pregnant this cycle we will be adding a 1/2 a dose of Clomid to help my left ovary make eggs. We will be closely monitoring my ovulation because if I ovulate on the left there would be no point in inseminating since there is no connection to the uterus over there. So we will play Red Light Green Light. Left side is a Red Light and the right side is a Green Light! Let's go right side!!

After I am pregnant I will be closely monitored by the clinic to make sure that some swimmers didn't swim out of the right side, find their way the the left tube and fertilize an egg over there. Then once I go to my OB my pregnancy will be monitored closer than a "normal" one to be sure that the baby is growing steadily and that my cervix stays closed. There is a higher chance of bed rest at the end (very slight per Dr. M) and a higher chance of a c-section because once the baby is big it can't turn around easily and be head down. Also per Dr. M there is a, again very slight, chance of preterm labor due to the cervix having pressure earlier into the pregnancy. He says this is more common in subsequent pregnancies and not as common in the first.

Ok, so I know that was alot to take in, we are still processing ourselves...so feel free to ask questions in the comments section, I am trying not to turn to Dr. Google for answers but I have found some pretty inspirational blogs from other people with UU's. One where the mother had twins and carried them to 34 weeks, 1 day!

I have a new love for these guys now...

No comments: