Friday, August 3, 2012

Cloth Diapering

We are using cloth diapers for G and so far we REALLY love them! We used disposables for the first few weeks since changes would be more frequent and since the diapers can start being used at 8 pounds.

We had more leaks in disposables than I expected and at first we attributed that to not pointing his parts in the right direction and for the Vaseline we had to put on the diapers to help the circumcision heal. But even after the Vaseline was gone, we learned to point it down and moving up a size he was still leaking out EVERY time. Now with the cloth we very rarely have leaks and we have never had a "blowout," knock on wood.

We use the Sunbaby brand with their bamboo inserts primarily and really really like them, we also have some Kawaii brand and don't care for them as much, although they still work. The Kawaii brand overlaps in the front and right now they are a little bit tight around his waist, but there isn't a better way to snap them right now or they are too loose. Plus they are a little bit bulkier than the Sunbabies. When he is bigger I am sure the snaps will work better though so we will keep using them. Both brands are adjustable size from 8-45 pounds and both have hip snaps that allow you to change the size of the legs holes and I love that feature, I think that is why we don't get many leaks. We just ordered another pack of 12 Sunbabies in some more fun patterns because we are doing laundry pretty much daily and would rather space it out just a little bit.

We chose to do cloth diapers for a few reasons:
  • Financial Savings - Even with ordering another dozen dipes we are about $300 invested and that should be all we spend on diapers until G is potty trained, saving us about $1300. (using $800 a year for disposables on babycenter.com) Plus our future children can use the same diapers as long as we take care of them, saving us even more. This was our biggest reason!
  • Skin Factors - This is not a judgement on disposable diapering parents, just a personal preference. We all have to do what is right for our own families. We prefer having the cloth on our babies skin. The insides of the diapers are SO soft and there are no chemicals to irritate his little bottom.
  • Environmental - I am sad to say that this had the least amount of importance to J and I. Terrible I know! But I do like knowing that we aren't adding diapers to the landfills.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have ordered some reusable nappies/ diapers from the UK as they are just unbelievably expensive here in Thailand (unless you use the real old-school terry cloths). It's really tough as you have no idea what's going to work till the babies arrive and that's still a long way off for us. I'll be following yout clog with interest!

Mimi said...

I am really happy you guys are happy with your cloth diapers. I know it's alot more work but they feel so soft for his little bum!