But we are still cruising along! Thankfully!
Yesterday evening I woke up from a nap to find blood on the sheets and on me. It wasn't a TON but what we thought was a significant amount. Certainly more than anyone would like to see when 10 weeks pregnant. I immediately called the nurse advice line and was told to rest and monitor the bleeding and call back in the morning to get a phone consultation with an OB. So I did just that, I stayed on the couch all evening until we went to bed around midnight. Sidenote: My wonderful wife took over my baking duties for her brothers birthday the next day and did SUCH a good job! Her OREO cheesecake was incredible! Ok, back to the story. This morning there was no more red blood, just brownish spotting but we still wanted to chat with an OB. So I called back and was told that there were no phone appointments and to just rest and monitor and call back if anything worsens. We were pretty bummed about that but a few minutes later I went to the bathroom and was horrified when I passed a largish clot of tissue. We immediately called the advice line back and was told that there WERE in fact phone appointments today and she set me up with one at 9:20am.
At 9:20 on the dot my phone rang and it was the OB, she started to tell me the same things, bleeding can be normal, rest, monitor etc. Then she realized that I am RH negative, she said no matter what I need the RhoGam shot with ANY bleeding and that I needed to go to the ER, now. That since I am negative that we would automatically get checked out. So we packed up and went. We got there and were immediately seen, it was the emptiest ER waiting room we had ever seen, thankfully!
We got a super nice and funny nurse and she really put us at ease. I have only been in the ER, for myself, once and I was a small child and don't remember it at all. So essentially this was my first time as an ER patient and it was weird being wheeled through the hallways on a bed and stuff. The Dr. came in and said that they were going to order a vaginal and formal ultrasound, blood work and a pelvic exam. Blood work came first and then the shot. They left me with an IV that was super uncomfortable and gave me the RhoGam shot. They then took us off to the ultrasounds, the nurse said that they might have J wait in the waiting room, ummmm yeah, I think not. Fortunately, it was not an issue and she came in. The sonographer told us that since she is not a physician that she could not tell us anything during the scans, that was really frustrating as we were really nervous and just wanted someone to tell us that our baby was ok!! She was really nice though and luckily we could see the screens. She first did the formal ultrasound, my first one of those and it was neat to see a different view of the baby, we could see more detail of the head but she went pretty fast and we weren't able to see a lot of details. She measured like crazy and then prepared for the vaginal. During this one we could see that the baby looked bigger and J actually saw the baby MOVE! That was incredible and immediately made her start crying with relief. I did not have a very good view on the screen at this time so I didn't see it, but was delighted to see her so happy. She then measured the heart rate, I think I may have been holding my breath until I saw those magic numbers on the screen, 174bmp!! Our baby was ok and alive! We squeezed our hands together so tightly. Baby measured quite a bit bigger and measured at 10w5d and the arms were so much more defined. If nothing else, this put our minds at ease, now to just find out why I am bleeding.
We got back to the room and had to wait quite a while for the doctor to come see us again, when he finally did he basically said that the ultrasound looked great and that we had a viable pregnancy on our hands. He didn't have any details and said we would need to follow up with our OB for the specifics on what was seen. He then did the pelvic exam, and was not very gentle I might add! He asked if anyone had ever told me anything about my cervix and I said that I knew it was ectropian but it was pretty clear that he didn't know what that meant because he said that again I needed to follow up with my OB because it "did not look normal." He said there was quite a bit of mucus coming out of it that wouldn't come off when he tried to swab it and it felt like it was attached or something, but that there was no more "frank" blood just the brownish or "old" blood in addition to the mucus. My cervix was closed, so that was good news. He quickly mentioned that maybe it was a bacterial infection however there wasn't any odor and he did not prescribe antibiotics. He basically said that he didn't know what was causing the bleeding and that I just needed to follow up with my OB tomorrow.
6 comments:
So, so glad the bun is ok! And that heart rate sounds perfect! But what a bunch of jerks. I hope your OB has more knowledge and can actually give you some helpful information!
what a scare.. glad everything turned out amazing.
I'm so glad that everything is okay! Keep on baking little bun-bun!
So happy everything turned out ok. We love you bun, no more scaring us!!!
Nicole, I am so happy you and the baby are ok....you girls are so on top of everything! love to you and Jen, Auntie G
I'm so glad everything turned out okay!
Post a Comment