Thursday, November 10, 2011

And We're Off....

Wednesday was our first OB appointment. Whewwww what a whirlwind of info and paperwork!!!

I started out a little nervous because I had emailed our Dr. about my Unicornuate Uterus and asked if she wanted to keep me as a patient or transfer me to a perinatologist. She said she would talk with them about a consult. I was afraid that she wasn't going to take it seriously and that I would have to fight for the extra ultrasounds (to check growth) and cervical checks. But it turns out she talked with them and they are going to share me! I will see my OB regularly and then see the peri at 16 weeks for an ultrasound and again at 24 weeks. After that if everything is ok than I will just see the OB. It seems like 24 weeks is a little bit early to assume that everything will be fine after that point but maybe the OB will just do the ultrasounds from then on out. I'm not totally clear about that.

We had to fill out a ton of paperwork, and then more! Lots of personal questions about my health history, feeling about the pregnancy and if I live in a stable household. It was sad to mark 2 pregnancies, no deliveries, on some of the forms.

Dr. W is keeping the RE's EDD of 6/8/2012. It's really hard since we have been going by 6/6/12 but I think we will go with what the Dr. says now since that's what the will refer to from here on out. So instead of being 10 weeks at the appointment I was 9w5d. My weeks will change every Friday now.

We got another ultrasound of our little Bun, this one was must faster and less thorough than the ones at the RE's office, but we still loved to see Bun and hear his/her heartbeat again. It never gets old! Here's another picture. :)













Dr. W also talked about my weight gain for the pregnancy. Since I am still in the highest BMI category (even after all that weight lost on WW) I should only gain 11-20 pounds total!!! I think that is going to be really difficult but I will do my absolute best. Plus I have the most supportive wife on the planet (no offense to the other wives, or husbands, that may be out there reading this) and she will keep me in line. She wants me and our Bun as healthy as can be!

We went to the lab and they took 4 vials of blood from me! And I didn't get queasy or lightheaded or anything!! Woo Hoo! I am now a pro at blood draw's. I also was handed 2 cups to pee in. Really you want me to pee in one, STOP peeing, switch cups and then pee in the other one...C'mon! But I did it without incident.

The results have been rolling in and so far everything is normal! :)

As soon as I got back to work the phone calls started coming in to schedule all kinds of things, I have been very impressed so far in the efficiency of Kai.ser. I am now scheduled for a full physical (at which we will be scheduled out more OB appointments), our 16 week appt. with the peri and our 20 week ultrasound. Whew!!

4 comments:

Isa said...

glad things are going well! And don't change your timing on their account--an EDD is just an estimate. I stuck with my Tuesday week changes even when they moved my due date 5 whole days, since I figure I know better than they do when I actually got preggo.

Sugar said...

My goodness...how fun to be setting up the appointments! It's just so exciting. 4 vials...yikes! I can't watch but it makes my heart beat faster when I see them walk up to me with a bunch of vials. Yikes! Way to go on being a champ!

Eugenia said...

Sounds good Nicole, so happy things are going well xoxo Auntie G

Mom said...

It's all very exciting to hear about! I'm very impressed about the 4 vials with no fainting! The bun is bakIng well! Yay!!